A group of Portuguese and other passengers who were stranded on Wednesday in Maputo, after a flight to Portugal was canceled due to Covid-19, have return trips on Saturday and Monday, one of the elements told Lusa.
At issue was the cancellation of a TAAG – Linhas Aéreas de Angola flight from Maputo to Porto with a stopover in Luanda, when passengers were already in the departure lounge and without alternatives being presented.
Of the set of people affected, at least 20 this Thursday sought solutions from TAP and made reservations on the company's last two flights between Maputo and Lisbon, before the route was suspended – as part of the general reduction in TAP operations due to the new coronavirus.
"There will be 13 people flying on Saturday and seven on Monday", including a group of Spanish citizens on this last flight, said José Fonseca, one of the passengers.
As he explained, the prices offered this Thursday (between 300 to 400 euros per person) were significantly lower than the prices they had previously obtained and which were one of the obstacles for some families to return.
At the same time, affected passengers are waiting for TAAG reimbursement, which, according to the carrier, may take a few months.
The consul-general of Portugal in Maputo, Frederico Silva, told Lusa this Thursday that in addition to the passengers who should have taken the flight on Wednesday, there are others already signaled in a total of nine countries under his responsibility.
Without specifying how many people there are, he referred to the fact that they are mostly displaced in tourism or business and that “in the face of new contexts, they have difficulty returning to the country”.
As he said, “as much as possible is being done to find solutions on a case-by-case basis”, admitting that it is a “colossal” task.
There are “still undetermined needs”, but the goal is that everyone can return to Portugal "as early as possible".